Friday, October 15, 2010

Seasons

It was 66 degrees in the house this morning, so I guess I have to admit it's finally fall in Alabama. I don't love it, but I'm trying not to be a big baby this year. :-)

We had a much needed week away last week in honor of Ruby's 11th birthday. A kind friend let us stay in his beach condo since it's the off season, and the weather was absolutely beautiful. The water was too cool for me, but the other two spent some good time in the ocean. I spent my time on the beach where it wasn't swelteringly hot like in summer. We came home on Thursday night and Friday we turned around and went north for the Moundville Native American Festival. A good addition to our Early American studies this year. A little too much time on the road for my taste, but a good week nonetheless. We also got to have dinner with both of Keith's siblings and at least part of their families--one in Panama City and the other in Tuscaloosa near Moundville.

We've gotten off to a good, though rocky at times, school year. Parenting/teaching a pre-teen is decidedly different. Each year requires new adjustments, and this year is no different. You know how, as a parent, you must continually change approaches with your child/children? It's the same with homeschool, only a bit magnified. Plus, I'm having to re-learn trigonometry, which has been... interesting.

I've had relatively few full blown migraines for the last couple of months. A lot of "threats," so to speak, but they have been backing down without too much prodding. This morning, though, I was awakened by the migraine I thought was just a "threat" last night. It could be worse, but this is our first normal Friday in weeks, and I was really looking forward to a good day and quiet evening. It could still happen.

My mom will be having a stent in her leg re-opened next Tuesday. I'd appreciate your prayers for her. She hasn't been especially well for months, and she still has much pain from the shoulder she broke last December.

We're still adjusting to the new pastor who came to our church in June. It's been a big adjustment. I think it's fair to speak for Keith, too, in saying we are wearying of this process. Three pastors in six years.

I planted a small fall garden consisting of broccoli and turnips. I also intended cabbage and lettuce, but apparently we had too many 100 degree days after planting time for those to come through. So far so good on the broccoli and turnips. We've harvested several batches of turnip greens already.

I'll go now. Just thought it was about time for an update.

5 comments:

Jamie Arpin-Ricci said...

Really great to hear what's happening. I refuse to use blog readers, so I visit your site daily to see if there is anything new. I was delighted to find an update! Praying for you in all the joys & challenges.

Peace,
Jamie

Cindy said...

Thanks, Jamie. I still have a blog reader, but haven't checked it in months... I certainly understand. Thanks for keeping up with me, though!

Erin said...

It sounds like a nice vacation and I'm glad you were able to go! I'm also glad to hear that your migraines have been few lately...you know I sympathize. I hope you aren't suffering from one today.

I'm sorry to hear about your mom's health...it's so hard to watch them go through things like that. My mom in law has finally given up, so they have quit all the therapy and said she won't improve beyond where she is now. (She had a tumor and a stroke, in case you don't remember.) Anyhow, it's hard.

I envy your gardening. Some years I feel inclined to plant something, but most years I'm too busy or too lazy. :)

Cindy said...

Thanks, Erin! The migraine did follow through, but it responded well enough to the meds that I've functioned more or less.

I'm sorry about your mother in law. My mom appears to be giving up at times, and I don't know how to handle that.

Thankfully, the fall garden isn't requiring nearly so much maintenance as the summer one did. I had to work almost every day at least a little to keep it going in the summer. Now a while on weekends is usually enough. We're already planning for the spring expansion, though! I have so many unfinished projects that I'm feeling kind of wild-eyed. I'm a finisher, you know... I'm sorry I've been so out of touch. I don't mean to be. :-(

Erin said...

I think we can't really know how hard it is for them NOT to give up. I spent some time with my 87 year old grandmother today, who is pretty well functioning but wants to be done. She is so depressed sometimes, and I try to cheer her up, but she says "When I'm an angel I'll be watching to see how YOU like being 88 years old!" (Yes she calls herself 88 even though her birthday isn't until January!)

I don't know, all we can try to do is to treat them like the people they are.

No worries about being out of touch...it takes two for that to happen! I've been so focused on my family lately that I just don't keep up with people like I want to.