Wednesday, July 12, 2006

misc

Looks like another week has passed. Sorry for my sporadic appearances. Life is strange these days. It's been a very busy week; add to that the fact that Keith is gone and won't be coming back for a while and that's just now beginning to sink in... I'm realizing how much I depend on him. (A LOT.) Any body know what size lawn mower blades I need? Or a quick tutorial on how to put them on? Yikes. If you read this, you'll realize how bad this situation could become.

North Korea, Land of Opportunity? "Missile tests and a planned trip by Rick Warren have put the spotlight on the country's beleaguered Christians." Rob Moll interviews Ronald Boyd-MacMillan for Christianity Today. This is a great look into the realities of life, religion, and politics in North Korea. It makes their current grandstanding even more troubling, though.

Jeff is going through a "brutal" time of summer artist drought at Communion of the Arts. I don't intend here to highlight his misery, but his experiences in church planting could be invaluable for others in the process of church planting, or considering it for the future. Jeff's a great guy who has thrown all of himself into this new church. Pray for him and Communion of the Arts.

My bathroom painting has taken a bad turn. My dear, dear husband spent about 3 hours of his last day at home removing and then replacing the toilet in our downstairs bathroom so I could do the long procrastinated faux weathered wood finish. I mastered the technique! It was tricky, but in the end it came out great. Except. Except that I failed to gague how the dragging effect would change the hue of the paint. I didn't have the heart to tell him how much I hate the color. I've bought new paint and will soon go about repainting the entire room with a solid color that I can manage without having the toilet removed. At least we got a new wax seal from the effort, as the old one seemed to be failing somewhat, anyway. This one was a total washout. Live and learn.

I'm going to finish Revolution soon- maybe tonight. I got a little bored with it and put it down awhile back. I guess I agreed with Barna so much it stopped sounding like he was saying anything new. It's a great book, and I do recommend it. He's the best one to write that particular book, and I'm so glad he did.

I've started a new book- The Early History of God: Yahweh and the Other Deities in Ancient Israel, by Mark Smith. So far it's great. The book examines the degree of syncretism between ancient Israelite and Canaannite societies and, among other things, the presence/prevalence of goddess worship in the cult of Yahweh during the various pre-montheistic eras. I can't get enough of this stuff. I read the other kinds of books to stay grounded in the here and now, else I'd bury myself in ancient history and never come out. Interesting that early on Smith implies that Christians tend to have a hard time understanding ancient Israel because our correctness is dependent almost entirely on right belief (theology), whereas the ancient Israelites' rightness with God was almost entirely based on right practice (praxis). (Monolatry vs. monotheism.) More later, probably.




4 comments:

Andy said...

Cindy, your family is still in my prayers. Stay strong.

Jamie Arpin-Ricci said...

You are in my prayers as usual.

You know Jeff from COTA?

Peace,
Jamie
www.emergentvoyageurs.blog.com

Cindy said...

thanks, guys.

Bob H said...

Thanks for that tip on the early history of God book. I'm a history buff too. I've got a video we just finished producing that documents the story of some of the 'dropouts' of organized religion.